Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Looking Ahead

Feeling a bit under the weather this morning, I didn't make the trip to Hampton Court with the class.  I am looking forward to Buckingham Palace tomorrow though.  In addition to the Palace, I also hope to see the Royal Mews where the State vehicles are kept.  Certainly one of the best things about this trip is touring the Royal Palaces and Parks.  I can't imagine the amount of work that goes into the upkeep of those landmarks and open spaces, especially with the number of visitors that tour those facilities each year.  The flowers and gardens are kept in immaculate condition, and the parks are relatively litter-free.  Constant work is being done to the buildings, many of which date back hundreds of years.  Those landmarks and parks have left an indelible impression on me.

I did see Wicked tonight at the Apollo Victoria Theatre with three of my classmates.  Having always wanted to see the show, I finally had the perfect opportunity here in London.  In this city, you could probably see any show that you've always wanted to see, on any given night!  The costumes and set were wonderful and really added to my enjoyment of the show.  But hands down it was the performance of Rachel Tucker as Elphaba that made me want to go back.  With her incredible voice and emotion, she really drew me into the story.  I was also very impressed with Chloe Taylor, the understudy, who played Glinda.

http://www.wickedthemusical.co.uk/

As my departure date from London quickly approaches, the one thing that I'm sure of is that I will return.  There are still items on my wish list of things to see and do.  My return will be with my history enthusiast husband, who would love this city.  I'm so thankful for this opportunity.  It amazes me that it took 39 years for me to travel overseas; I can certainly see why students want to study abroad.

No comments:

Post a Comment