Powered By Blogger

Sunday, July 31, 2011

The Beefeaters

With only a few days left of my journey, I knew that I had to see the Tower of London and the Tower Bridge.  According to every tour guidebook and map I've looked at in the last two months, these landmarks are not to be missed when in London.  I was certainly not disappointed.  My first stop was to join a tour led by one of the famous Beefeaters, the honorary guards and tour guides of the Tower.  Our guide was quite entertaining with his tales of the famous prisoners who had been kept at the Tower, and for many, their subsequent executions - Anne Boleyn being one.  At this point in my trip, I think I know the story of King Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn better than I know myself  :)  Look for my Glogster (a multimedia poster) about the Beefeaters, or Yeoman Warders, in the next few days.  In addition to my tour, I also saw exhibits of armor, artillery, instruments of torture, and of course, the crown jewels.

I must admit that after the last three days, it will be nice to be at home where there are no crowds.  London is of course a destination for people all over the world; it is a very cosmopolitan city.  I do enjoy listening to all of the languages represented here, and it's great to see families visiting these amazing sites.  However, there is something to be said for less traffic, no lines, and quiet.  Soon enough I will have plenty of that as well!

Tomorrow we will be having High Tea after spending some time in Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens.  In thinking about a traditional tea, I must evaluate some other traditional English fare before I head home.  It's time for a full English breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment